Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Study of Bible Study



In order to experience being an outsider among a organization with a very different ideology, I attended a bible study put on by the students. Going in I felt some what nervous, because I knew they would question my views on the text, and given my discomfort with accepting things purely on faith it would likely lead to arguments. Luckily one of my friends was a part of this group which helped bridge the gap, and gave me one person in discussion rather than having face a mob of like minded people. Their reception of me was actually fairly warm, though the passage that week was about accepting new people into your home so that helped set a good tone.

When I pointed out that the passage, while positive about accepting different types peoples, had deep asimultive influence by stating that love was to be shared to all God fearing people, they seemed confused and went back to talking about the good of spreading ideals everyone. Afterwards I realized what the disconnect was between myself and them. To them the word of God is fact, when they spread it their doing the work of an educator. To them system is very similar to strong political and social values, like the sovereignty of states and equal rights, they’re absolute beliefs and at least according to the bible based on fact. For everyone christian this is of course not true some are more lenient than others, but it was interesting to see how beliefs can become fact, and what that might mean for some of my values.

No comments:

Post a Comment